Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Tyranny of Financial Insecurity

Within six months, we lost the beautiful house on 2 and a half acres on a hill overlooking a valley, where we had lived for 17 years. We lost our cars. We lost virtually every material thing we had, moved to a small rental way out in the woods (where I began writing The Shack) and six months later into the smaller rental in Gresham where we live. Most of this time I have worked at least three jobs (jobs that Papa brought along) just to put food on the table and pay the bills.

This is the time of our lives when we learned that the opposite of “more” is “enough.”

But today I am free! Our time in Gresham has been one of the greatest times of spiritual growth in our family. Our kids had to make huge changes and they did with open hearts. I have no fear of money or financial security anymore. The imaginations of the future are gone and I have learned to live in the truth of the present, where Jesus dwells with me. There is nothing like losing everything to heal you of the fear and to learn that you have enough, each day. My life is full of joy.

-- Wm. Paul Young

This observation stands out to me: "There is nothing like losing everything to heal you of the fear and to learn that you have enough, each day."  More here....