Friday, November 12, 2021

Venetian Siesta

Poetry, like nothing else, can grasp the spirit of something we all resonate with before it gets away.

'Poem for the week' -- "Venetian Siesta":

I know I’m getting away with a crime

stretched out on the couch

and listening to rain

making a hole in the afternoon

through which I can drift slowly away

for sleep is sometimes

just as delicious

as white polenta and grilled angle fish.

So I give up my hands,

my tears and my face,

the smells of tar,

damp rope and mud,

the late slanted light of November

rippling below on the gondola wood

and then I count backwards from 27

trying to pretend I’m Wallace Stevens

he of the freakish intellect

and the taste of a ruthless

wandering gourmet

who rummages in the mystical kitchen

in search of oranges and café espresso

or a blown glass peacock

or a Byzantine horse

cast in some delicate metal.

He speaks of the world,

how it’s changed by art

and bread you can’t eat

powdered with light

where someone is toasting

their mother’s health

and someone is writing a letter to death

which makes things beautiful

in its way

and also makes everyone the same

as laughter does

or the late autumn rain.

-- Joseph Millar