Sunday, May 09, 2021

Inherent Sacredness

Without a sense of the inherent sacredness of the world, we struggle to see God in our own reality, let alone to respect reality, protect it, or love it. 

-- Richard Rohr


Most of the time, I hesitate to add anything to such observations by Richard Rohr because what I would say would most likely only diminish the power of it.

But here, I can't avoid personalizing how the simplicity, range, and depth impacts me.  

I struggle with the imbalance of manipulated spirituality and the inherent nature of it.  I know the sacredness is true, in some deep way.  And, yet, sometimes I can hardly think about it clearly (let alone speak of it) without feeling I am participating in something I want nothing to be a part of.  Thus, the words, "we struggle to see God in our reality..." resonate easily and deeply.

And, this does seem to be a beginning, not a destination.  For the magnitude of what would be true about this surely leads to a kind of protective and loving respect for it.