Monday, June 29, 2020

Inconsistencies

I've noticed that it doesn't really work to hold out for people's consistencies.  Or, perhaps I could put it this way; holding others' inconsistencies against them (which I hate to admit, at times, I've done) is a futile endeavor.

We are all quite inconsistent, even if we try to project to others that we're not.

What bugs me sometimes is those who seem to promote (or even brag) about their consistencies.

A (really) small example; when someone says something like, "Now, I've always said...".  Besides being a fallacy on a merely literal level (but, setting technicalities aside, who is still keeping track of inconsistencies right now?), such statements seem much more about self-promotion than actual assertions to consider.  Sounds more like, "I've always known the truth and I'm here to bless you...with my knowledge" or, more simply, "...with me".

The truth is we are all inconsistent.  I sure am.

Holding that against someone or using perceived consistency to idealize myself is not only unhelpful, it also can be damaging simply because of its falseness...not to mention the dismissal of the many beauties of things like variation, diversity, and change that are often manifestly represented in inconsistent people...like myself.