Monday, September 02, 2019

Nature Of Existence

I'm wondering...about the nature of existence—why have I imagined it the way I have?  What has enculturated my imagination?  What context, socially constructed influences, has shaped my understanding of existence?

It may be easy to downplay such ideas as mere contrivances, or even consider them as wrong; but, what else do we have or know without these contexts?  Good or bad, they give us what we have and are the means by which come to know anything.  Perhaps, there is more to learn from them (than there is to avoid) about the nature of existence.  After all, we really do wonder about many things, don't we?  We really don't have most of the answers.  I think it is healthy to acknowledge what we wonder about, in part, so we can do more of it.  Wonder has such a beautiful disposition built into it.

I've been reading more of Peter Wohlleben's book, The Hidden Life of Trees, this morning and perhaps this section is like some of the context of my thoughts above: