Saturday, August 26, 2017

Place In The World

​I admire, or at least am drawn to, someone who seems to just know their place in the world - the spot they occupy, what they offer to the context they are in. Why? Among other things, perhaps it provides a kind of comfort, when someone is comfortable with where they're at, how they fit, where they fit.

This doesn't mean that they are perfect, nor does it mean that they aren't aware of anything uncomfortable or less than what is needed about themselves. In fact, they are very aware of these things. But, they don't try to hide them or pretend -- they acknowledge them, even bring them to light. This actually reinforces their sense of ease about themselves -- they know themselves, what they are good at, what they aren't good at. And this gives you space to be with them...maybe, even, to be yourself.

I have often wondered about my 'place'. Do I know what it is? What do I fill? What do I offer?  I think I am growing more and more into who I am -- becoming like the description above (though I'll leave the attractiveness of that up to someone else to determine).

Perhaps some people see me, like I see someone like this. Which makes me wonder if they see themselves the way I can easily see myself...not fully embodying being comfortable with who I am (and am not) -- occupying my own space, with contentment and peace.