Thursday, April 13, 2017

Aware

As I contemplate the significance of this day of Holy Week, relative to Lent and to the next 3 days, I find myself aware of several things:
  • There has been something significant about 'doing' Lent this year - it seems related to having participated in this more collectively (with a group of guys), rather than just by myself
  • I tend to want such times, like this weekend (consider this perspective), to feel more transformative than it does
  • I have a sense of anticipation, which is going simultaneously in seemingly opposite directions - I have a slight expectation or desire for something to crescendo a bit AND I feel myself resisting that very desire...a pre-emptive move, perhaps, to avoid some kind of disappointment
  • What I do, with regard to the import of Easter, is increasingly like a call to something - something with more implications for the poor and needy, something that has more to do with a collective effort than just an individual one (though I'm not sure how separable those really are)
  • There is something wildly subversive about the death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus - this feels more apparent to me as our culture continues its seeming rotation away from the socialization of the church and religion
  • A significant part of this subversiveness goes well beyond the typical evangelical perspective of atonement regarding our status before God and deeply into the impact it should have on my daily life, particularly as it relates to our cultural anxieties and on how I see and function in my relationship to the world and all that inhabit it
What will the next 3 days add to the mix for me this year?


As we walk the walk from Palm Sunday to Easter through the Thursday arrest and the Friday execution and the long Saturday wait in the void, imagine all of us, in the wake of Jesus, changing our minds, renewing our minds, altering our opinions concerning self and neighbor and world. The clue to the new mind of Christ is emptying of our need to control and our anxious passion for security. And as our minds change, we come to new freedom.

-- Walter BrueggemanA Way Other Than Our Own