Monday, April 04, 2016

Spotlight

We watched the movie, Spotlight, last night with some friends.  I was provoked....

After speaking in church yesterday about the topic of healing, I couldn't help but wonder how my descriptions of healing feel to victims of sexual abuse, like that exposed in this movie.  I felt like it was possible that I had significantly under-estimated the depth of healing needed in this life, as well as what Christ offers to this world through what He did on our behalf.

But, my ability to do justice to this idea is not really the point.  In fact, what Christ is offering us through the His resurrection is truly far greater than any of us really imagine -- both in terms of the degree of our need for healing, as well as the capacity and intention of God to do it.  I am reminded again of the significance of what God is saying:

...if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

-- 2 Chronicles 7:14

...we certainly need this level of healing -- personally, nationally, at the most basic and deepest levels of our existence.  I must keep humbling myself, praying, seeking and turning to God.  These are not rules from God, they are pathways to Him and to the healing of all that is so broken in our lives.  God desires to heal us, even of the most awful things we do to ourselves and others.  Our lives, personally and as a society, require a kind of healing that only God can provide because only he can heal us physically as well as our broken hearts, not to mention our waywardness.

...though difficult, I believe 'Spotlight' is an important movie for adults to see.  Our land is suffering from this sickness.