Saturday, December 12, 2015

Depression: The Struggle None of Us Want to Talk About

There can be a great collision this time of year...where the Christmas-card version of the lives we may want smash up against the realities of our deeper aches in life. I was grateful to find this:

I don’t like talking about depression much, because I want my life to look together. I want to sound smart and my kids to obey the first time and for my marriage to be a beacon for all others who follow in my marriage’s glorious light.

I’m scared to let anyone in on the secret because then the gig would be up.  Continue here....

-- Lisa Gungor

I am grateful for this quote from the reading referenced above:

We don’t know what to do with our own weakness but pretend it doesn’t exist…how can we welcome fully the weakness of another if we haven’t welcomed our own weakness?

-- Jean Vanier