Saturday, June 13, 2015

True

We tend to think of truth too much in terms of either / or.  Truth is this or that, not often both.  This is true, that isn't.  That isn't true, because this is and so on.

I got here by listening to a friend talk the other day.  As he described his experience, I found myself wondering if it was true.  I wondered, in part, because it seemed like it was true...what he was saying.  On the other hand, I don't know that I would describe my experience the same way.  So experience is true?  If his is true, then what does that say about mine?  If mine is true, then what does that say about his?

The more I thought about it, the more is seemed possible (likely even) that both of our experiences are true.  That it isn't that only one or the other...is true.

What is true seems much bigger than trying to figure out which it is, at any given time.  What is true is.  The only thing that is untrue is something that says that what is true isn't.  I may be getting tangled up in words here, but the greater reality, it seems to me, is that truth is what really is.  All that untruth, or lies, can do is say that something that is true isn't...or may not be.  It can't really change anything about is really true.

This is freeing, in many unexpected ways.  I don't have to encounter what is true in the same way you do.  And, I don't have to require that you do so, in the same way that I do.  We both can experience what is true...in wildly different and in similar ways.  Conformity is not necessary for truth.