Thursday, October 02, 2014

Don't Promote Self-Esteem?

In my counseling office, parents like to tell me that their child is so smart. I rarely hear how compassionate or loving that child is to others. I read so many articles on self-esteem and how important it is for everyone. Is it really that important to think highly of ourselves?

...having high self-esteem didn't improve grades or career achievement. It didn't even reduce alcohol usage. And it especially did not lower violence of any sort (Highly aggressive, violent people happen to think very highly of themselves, debunking the theory that people are aggressive to make up for lower self esteem).

I can't control my brain and how smart I am. Let's not tell our children how smart they are. Let's compliment how hard they have worked on something or how loving they are towards another person. These are all things they can control. Their brain power is not something they can control.

I don't care how highly you think of yourself. I like to focus on your integrity and compassion towards others. Now that will really make this world a better place. Your brain may assist you in that goal. Your liver will help you too. God is love and how much love and compassion you can give to another is what I like to promote.  More here....

-- Pamela Chambers