Sunday, June 22, 2014

Bears Our Burdens

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior,
who daily bears our burdens.

-- Psalm 68:19

I was recently watching one of our kids struggle with some details of life that seem...well, like things that would be beneath the normal concerns of God. So, I have been re-considering Peter's encouragement to 'cast our cares' on God. It seems we do this so infrequently or, at least, it doesn't seem to be our first instinct.

So when I read the verse above, the soil of my mind was already tilled.  He daily bears our burdens. What burdens? Which ones?  I often don't think of Him as doing this kind of thing for me...bearing my daily burdens.  And, if He does, I imagine, He must do it in some abstract sense and for the big things - things I know I can't handle.  But, it is hard to escape the specific nature of the words used here.  Burdens?  ...when I think of the type of things I tend to be pre-occupied by each day, I often don't think that He would (should) be very concerned about them.  They seem too...petty, or like things a bit below His pay-grade.

But, I wonder if this is largely much more my view of things than His.  It says daily.  He seems concerned and interested in rather specific details of our lives - the daily ones.  According to Peter, He seems interested in having me bring these things to Him.

So, what are the implications of not going to Him with the 'small' things of my life?  When I'm following my first instinct (to 'handle it' on my own)?  What part of my relationship with Him do I miss out on?