Sunday, March 02, 2014

In The Dark

God has wisely kept us in the dark concerning future events and reserved for himself the knowledge of them, that he may train us up in a dependence upon himself and a continued readiness for every event.

-- Matthew Henry

Henry captures what has surely been true of my experience ... that there has been great purpose, utility even, in keeping me unaware of certain things, even the future, for a better-timed revealing of them.  Awareness is a healthy thing, but it can also be a hidden (and, sometimes, not so hidden) implementation-bid for control in life.  Leaving us to plummet the depths of our darkest fears seems to create opportunity for illumination.  And, the illumination is, among other things, a right-placed, right-sized dependence on the mercies and wonders of God.

The Indiana woods this morning are basted in another fresh layer of one of nature's more beautiful blankets -- pure white and more soft than really could even be imagined.  Our dog loved it almost as much as me, hardly able to roll in enough of it.

The northern sides of nearly every tree were home to the most delicate accumulations.  I can hardly imagine a design more beautiful, more glorious, more aimed at the love of our Creator for all things beautiful and harmonious.  I know there have been times when I couldn't see it, being pre-occupied with something more desperately needed for myself (or so it seemed).  But, with His graces so pervasive within me, today is another day that I can marvel at all this extravagant beauty.

I am dependent.  I am being given knowledge as it is needed.  The joy of it makes me full of anticipation of what yet is to be revealed, especially when this current darkness seems already so bright.