Saturday, January 11, 2014

Walter Mitty

I remember reading The Secret Life of Walter Mitty when I was in high school, or at least starting to.  I may have finished it, I don't remember now -- I don't remember the ending...perhaps a little frustrated with a guy who seemed to endlessly lose focus as well as somewhat intrigued with the notion of dreaming about the way things could be.  So, when the movie came out, I felt a twinge of something...that I should see it, at the very least to remind me of the book. Quite a story!

We often settle for a life that is safe and predictable, even as we often privately nurse small forms of our passions.   And occasionally life's circumstances twist us into an opportunity to find something we've been deeply longing for with the thinking that it can be found 'out there'.  We get up or are thrown out of our comfort zone, usually by something we are attracted to or really want, and discover that the 'out there' was really 'in here' -- I didn't have to go anywhere, it was in the back-pocket of my heart the whole time.  Though resigned on the front side, we are grateful beyond words for the aliveness we come out with.

Quite a story...of us!  So, jump!