Sunday, December 22, 2013

Be Still...and Wait Patiently

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him....

-- Psalm 37:7

Some people I call Christmas Christians. The most important thing about their Christian faith is believing that the Baby Jesus is Immanuel, God with us. Their favorite hymn is "Joy to the World."  Others I'd label Lenten Christians, whose faith revolves around sin, guilt and forgiveness. Their symbol is the cross.  Then there are Pentecost Christians, on fire with the Spirit's energy and gifts.

I'm an Advent Christian...Advent Christians can't rest content. We long to be what we are not yet.

As an Advent Christian, God's promises help sustain me in hope. I can accept my experience of exile and the existence of suffering in the world. I don't have to pretend that this life is all there is. I can live with my longings; I don't need to deny them. I can be mindful of the reality around me. I can sing of the reality to come.   Read the rest here....

-- Ronald Klug

After a too busy season that has now landed me in a chair with a view to the mountains of Colorado Springs, I am finally able to sit in some stillness today and ponder much of waiting I haven't been doing.

 
Posted by Picasa

Pike's Peak has stayed here the whole time I have been gone...and maybe a few years before that. (I do live some illusion that stillness requires place, when it is actually more of a state of being - but, hey, this scene does help me). I am reminded again of 2 things: 1) that space needs to be created, and 2) that being still is essential to well-being.

I am hoping again for just one more thing...the Hallelujah Chorus, somewhere, somehow.