Friday, May 11, 2012

First Day of My 50th Year

Today is the first day of my 50th year of life and so I am returning to the topic on the last day of my 49th -- Why Am I?

Why am I...

...capable of so much violence (actual or just in thought), perversion, self-indulgence, prejudice?

Why am I...

...in that same person beckoned in the morning by the sun rising over the horizon?

Why am I...this strange and unwieldy combination.

Perhaps another question will lead us to the answer to this one...

Why are other things what they are?


Why does a placid lake whisper 'peace' so softly, yet so loudly?

Why does morning mist linger over it so mysteriously?

Why do streams which feed it make a rippling sound?

Why does the cardinal have such brilliant red to flash?

Why does the tree have to grow so slowly, imperceptibly?

Why does it appear as nothing but dead month after winter-month only to explode with foliage in a matter of weeks...for a hundred years?

Why does the lace of a flower float so beautifully above its supporting green?

Why...

     do daisies face the same direction?
     does the yellow iris yelp its color?
     does the purple iris moan with delight?

Why do many docks have so many patient kayaks aboard them?

Why does the empty park sometimes fill with a whole town?
     while at other times do families of geese wander within it so freely?

Why do people walk 4 dogs at a time?
     or puppies lick you the way they do?
     do cats stare?

Why does color beg?

...and these are just the things I 'why-ed' when I was out early this morning.  Imagine the rest of them!

Everything is made for a reason, a unique reason, but a shared reason.
I am, too.

My 'whys' merge when I wonder about myself in light of the something more and larger that is going on in life.

When I see all these things, a mosaic emerges.  And, it's image says, "you are blessed...to be a part of all of this...joy".

So I join it,

and, in doing so, find out really...why I am.