Tuesday, December 27, 2011

50th Wedding Anniversary

Love seems the swiftest but it is the slowest of all growths. No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century.

-- Mark Twain



 To my parents, today; on their 50th Wedding Anniversary,

When I think about 50 years, of just about anything, it pretty much seems like what it sounds like...a long time.  Of course, whatever one would assess as 'long' would have to compared to something.  Compared to all history, compared to the time since Christ ascended, etc. 50 years is not so long.  Compared to one's life span or with many marriages these days...well that seems like a different story.

At the very least, 50 years is longer than my little life...and that, at least at the moment, seems like quite a while.  And, working at a relationship for that long seems...note-worthy, especially in an age of instants -- instant upgrades, instant trade-ins, instant new... of nearly anything.  So I'm impressed by longevity when I see it still happening.  For one thing, it helps me reconsider my own sense of a long time.  It challenges me to consider alternatives to giving up, to quitting when things get difficult.  It provides a context to consider lots of things that short time-frames don't seem to allow much for.  Further, when considered in the context of relationships, even greater pause is provided.  I am grateful that I have paused to consider what I'm seeing when I feel the appeal of the 'shorter route'.  I am grateful because some of that same longevity I increasingly respect in your marriage is benefitting my own. 

Growing old together, while not as fashionable as it used to be, has many wonders; many graces that God knew about long before we learned to agree with Him about it.  I'm so grateful for the example you have laid in front of me -- the joy of longevity, of willingness to stay at something to learn about the surprise of the depths of God's goodness.

Now, it should likely be noted, that longevity in and of itself may not be all that it is cracked up to be.  It, in fact, can be a great cloak over many evils.  But longevity seeking something much better and deeper than the benefits to self is a different matter.  And, that greater calling, to seek the source of loving others provides for something that 50 years together only begins to tap into.  And, I want to thank you, Dad and Mom, for helping me imagine those possibilities by doing the same yourselves. 

50 years together, seeking God, the best you know how...is a wonderful gift to me, a son.  One that keeps on giving as I seek the same in my relationships, and thereby give to our own children.

Praise God for enabling your faithfulness to Him all these years.  And, thank you.


Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

-- I Corinthians 13:7