Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Change

When you're finished changing, you're finished.

-- Benjamin Franklin

We really don't like change too much.  Why do you think that is?

'Ben' essentially said change is a constant. I tend to agree. It must have something to do with how we are made; how what has been made is.  I wonder if we don't like change because we want to control things...for our own purposes...especially things we become used to.  So perhaps the design of things, including change, is for our own good.  ...so that we can't rely too heavily on this desire to use things exclusively for how we would like things to be, for our purposes, for our comfort.

How we react to change seems important.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

-- Reinhold Niebuhr