Saturday, July 02, 2011

Worry

Worry is a misuse of imagination.

-- Dan Zadra

...got this one from a good friend, Jim Eisenbraun.

I suspect this isn't what Dan had in mind, but here's where my mind went today regarding 'worry is the misuse of imagination'.

So, why might this be true?  Well, for starters, what might we tend to worry about?  If we were honest, we could make a long list and whether we actually do so or not, we have such a list and it is pretty long.  I've realized that I've been worried lately.  I didn't even recognize it, but I think that's what I've been doing.  Why do we worry about the things on our lists?  What is at the root of nearly all of our worries?  I suspect that it is, in fact, a kind of loss of imagination...of letting God be God in our lives; over the things we worry about.  We don't imagine much more than what we see, so we take over.  Which often just leads us to...more worry about how we're doing.  So we really aren't imagining much of Him at all. ...and that seems like a misuse of imagination to me.

What are you worried about today?