Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Slow

I've noticed that I'm running a lot. Not the fitness kind (though I am doing a bit of that still, too), but the kind where I move quickly from point A to point B on a regular basis. For example, on my way home from work yesterday, I noticed I was running home. Why was I running? I thought to myself that I just need to walk, but I had to force myself to do it.  Just walk, to go...slow.

Something is a-foot in the sense of urgency I regularly feel. Something that I suspect isn't good. I wonder if I feel too important to something, like I 'need' to get to the next place...like I'm needed at the next place.  How could I even be that important, much less think that I am?  

I'm guessing I am being reminded of the value of 'slow', of pausing, of waiting, of not hurrying to the next thing that needs to be done. I think I'm missing something important in the surprising habit of mine that I've stumbled upon.